At Simonside Primary school we aim to instil a genuine love of science through stimulating inquiry and exhilarating investigations. All pupils from Reception through to Year 6 are lucky enough to enjoy science lessons weekly, with many practical investigations. Throughout our science lessons we hope to support children in developing:
- An ability to make predictions about a scientific inquiry
- The confidence to ask scientific questions
- An ability to set up and organise a practical investigation
- An interest in how scientific concepts are useful in daily life
- The ability to record findings from an investigation
Here at Simonside we are lucky enough to have an extensive well-resourced outdoor area which provides the ultimate environment for all of our outdoor learning. We are currently lucky enough to enjoy:
- A poly tunnel to grow our favourite plants, vegetables and fruit (YES! That’s right we’re self-sufficient)
- A large grassed area which is an arena for wild and wonderful experiments!
- An exciting pond area where we can explore our very own wildlife
- A large outdoor classroom so we can take our science lessons outside, even in the rain!